Monday, October 25, 2010

Listening Styles

I see myself as a People-oriented listener. Growing up, I was always a big reader and I think that contributed to my love of stories, regardless of where they come from. To me, the stories of others have always been much more fascinating to me than talking about my own personal experiences. I don’t know if it would be the best listening approach in all situations, but I think being a People-oriented listener, even to a small degree, can be helpful to create a friendly conversational environment. I often move out of this primary approach while giving tours to family who are visiting Rider’s campus. I become a Time-oriented speaker in those situations to ensure that I can give my tour group all of the necessary information about Rider in the time it takes to tour the campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment