Monday, October 11, 2010

Adaption Theory

Conversation 1- For the first conversation I tried something simple with eye contact. Whenever my friend started talking I would let my eye sight wander to something just above her head. After doing this a few times she started turning around to see what it was I looking at. Eventually she gave up and demanded to know what I kept looking at. As far as adaptation theory is concerned, my lack of eye contact suggested that I spotted something more interesting than our topic of conversation which made my friend want to discover it as well so she could adapt to what she thought was a more interesting topic of conversation.

Conversation 2- For this conversation I stepped into the role of the dreaded low talker. As I moved closer to my friend they responded by backing away. Eventually, they just gave up and ended the conversation rather than ask me to stop moving closer. It was interesting to see the difference between the two conversations in that one friend asked me to what I was looking at while another friend simply left the conversation rather than ask me to stop moving closer.

Conversation 3- For my last conversation I tried half listening and one-upping my friend. They eventually got tired of talking to me and also left the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment